One thing I love about weekends, is having extra time to indulge my love affair with baking…
I have always loved chocolate mousse, and having experimented with dark, white, & milk chocolate, my absolute favourite way to make a rich, velvety chocolate mousse is by using good quality dark chocolate. And lets be real, who doesn’t love a good chocolate mousse? You can jazz it up with some cute mint leaves on the side and some whipped cream, maybe add some fresh raspberries and vanilla cream, or as we have done, spice it up a little with some dangerous looking chilli shards.
We love to use this as an excuse to use some pretty, vintage glassware, but you can use whatever you have at home.
Let us know in the comments below if you have a favourite chocolate mousse recipe of your own. – we would love to try your versions!
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE WITH CHILLI SHARDS
150g Good quality dark chocolate (75% cocoa or more)
4 eggs (separated)
2 TBS sugar
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
3/4 Cup Water
Method for Chocolate Mousse
1. Break chocolate into the top of a double boiler. Stir over hot water until chocolate melts. Cool slightly. Stir your egg yolks into the chocolate, & beat until thick and silky.
2. Beat cream until thick, and fold this through your chocolate mix
3. Beat egg whites whilst gradually adding the sugar. Beat until thick and glossy.
4. Fold half egg white mix into the chocolate mix until well mixed. (make sure you fold gently)
5. Pour into 4 or 6 individual dishes or 1 large bowl.
6. Chill until firm & sprinkle with Cacao powder when ready to serve.
Method for Chilli Shards
1. Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
2. Reduce heat to medium-high, and cook until mixture just starts to turn pale gold around edges. (You dont want this to go too golden, you want the mix to be clear like glass)
3. Remove from heat, and immediately pour caramel onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Working quickly, tilt pan to spread caramel to edges to make a very thin layer.
4. Sprinkle as many or as few chilli flakes over the sugar mix, Let cool to harden.
5. Once hard, break off into glass-like shards and top your chocolate mousse.